- Do students lose depth in digital reading?
- Book up for a longer life
- Reading for pleasure: a research overview
- Reading for pleasure: a door to success
- Why are our 15 year olds falling behind in reading and writing?
- Why reading at a young age matters: infographic
- Reading Literature Makes Us Smarter and Nicer
- Why are children reading books? Don't they know it's digital first?
- Reading for pleasure builds empathy and improves wellbeing, research from The Reading Agency finds
- Collection of resources on which is best - reading digitally or reading paper
- Top 10 books for your principal to read aloud at staff meetings
- Printed books survive and thrive against e-competitors
- Library design wiki
- The School Library as the Third Place
- 4 Future Trends
- Adapting to 21st Century Learning – The Learning Commons
- Loreto Toorak's new Library
- Trinity NSW - Arthur Holt LibraryAbbotsleigh Research Centre ARC
Guided Inquiry resources
- Resources and Downloads to Facilitate Inquiry-Based Learning
- Guided Inquiry in Australia
- Where to find open education resources
- Where to find open textbooks
- Where to find cc licensed material
- Where to find cc licensed images
- Where to find CC licensed music
- Where to find CC licensed videos
- School libraries - Impact studies
- Why do we need teacher librarians?
- The What, Who, Where and How of Building an i-Centre
- Advocate for Your School Library With Digital Communication
- Shift happens. It's time to rethink, rebuild and rebrand by Lyn Hay
- Library learning spaces: Design, creation & management of library learning spaces.
- The importance of school libraries in the Google Age
- The new librarian: leaders in the digital age
- Future Ready Schools heralds school librarians as leaders
NoodleTools - citation management tool
Evernote - An organization tool that allows you to bookmark/clip text, images, and web sites into different notebooks and assign tags. Useful for student research projects.
Wordle - Make a word cloud with your own text.
Corkboard - A tool that allows collaborative communication via sticky notes. Students can post questions or ideas, and they can be organized by color and moved around on the screen.
Prezi - A web-based slideshow creator. It's a bit like PowerPoint, but allows you to organize the slides in different ways and pan and zoom.
Slideshare - A tool for sharing slideshare and documents.
Professional Development Links
Teachers' Domain [WGBH/NSF connections](media, lesson plans)
ReadWriteThink [NCTE] (interactive graphic organizers)
Yahoo Teachers free social networking site that lets librarians and teachers create, modify, and share standards-based curricula
Once Upon a School
...a site devoted to ideas and projects bringing technology and education together
Science Teacher Links
Museum of History of Science
[U of Oxford]
Mr. Jackson's science links
a website with illustrations of the Human Body to aid the learning of Human Anatomy with diagrams, podcasts and revision questions
EnvironmentClean Sweep U.S.A.
Eek! Recycling and Beyond
N. Trubble and the Environauts Mission to Earth
Social Studies Teacher Links
Colonial Williamsburg Electronic Field Trips
...links to the electronic field trips, teacher resources and information
GeoBee Challenge (slj)
...an online geography bee
Marcus Garvey - Look for me in the whirlwind
...information about founder of the Universal Negro Improvement Association (U.N.I.A.) whose goals were racial unity, economic independence, educational achievement, and moral reform.
What is Christianity?This set of pages tries to summarize Christian beliefs and practices. It is intended as an introduction to Christianity for non-Christians.
The Choices ProgramThe Choices Program is a national education program designed to introduce substantive international content into the secondary school curriculum.
NCLH National Center for History in the Schools
Sacred Stories from Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism and Buddhism in animated format from the British Museum
Visualizing Cultures was launched at MIT in 2002 to explore the potential of the Web for developing innovative image-driven scholarship and learning.
Historical Scene Investigations Use primary sources to solve historical mysteries CSI style.
National Archives Digital Vaults sort through billions of primary sources from the National Archives
World Digital Library Hundreds of primary sources from around the world.
DocsTeach Build activities, use premade activities, and find thousands of primary sources.
Music Teacher Links
Classics for Kids
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
...Nice activities and games
Jazz and Blues
...NPR audio links about jazz past and present from NPR programs
Jazz: a Film by Ken Burns
...primary-source audio clips from Burns' documentary film with images and photographs
...portal to all things jazz in the Smithsonian museums
Fun Music Websites
- The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra
- The New York Philharmonic Kidzone!
- The San Francisco Symphony Kids' Site
- A.Best Metronome
- Metronome Online
- Ricci Adams' Pop-up Piano
- Ricci Adams' Staff Paper Generator
- Sibelius Music Notation FREE TRIAL
- Finale Music Notation FREE TRIAL
English Language Arts Teacher Links
Diversity Literature Links
Crazy Quiz (slj)
....a poetry quiz
Famous Poets and Poems (TL)
Find information about poems and poets, and works from over 600 poets on this webpage.
Harry Potter Wizard Challenge (slj)
....select a Harry Potter book on which to take the challenge
This site includes monthly video book talks, and selection help. The booktalks are all on non-fiction resources
Sci-Fi, Fiction and Fantasy Database
An online index to historical and critical items about science fiction, fantasy and horror
The literature, life and times of Edgar Allan Poe
American Indian Children's Blog
Critical perspectives of indigenous peoples in children's books, the school curriculum, popular culture, and society-at-large.